Pages

Saturday 2 July 2011

Will Run For Rhubarb Crumble Muffins

Last week I ate the most delicious rhubarb cake at my granny's house.  When I called her this morning for the recipe she reminded me that it was important that I follow the recipe EXACTLY.   In other words no whole wheat flour, no yogurt, lots of sugar, etc., etc. 

     I recently decided that I want to eat less eggs and dairy.  More specifically, I want to eat less eggs and dairy in delicious vegan baked goods that I can enjoy as a treat every now and then.  Poor Granny has had to endure sawdust cake and shoe leather muffins on more than one occasion so I understand why she was a little apprehensive.  She just doesn't appreciate black-bean brownies and chocolate avocado mousse the way that I do.


While these muffins do include wholewheat flour and yogurt I think even your Granny will enjoy them! 


Rhubarb Crumble Muffins
MUFFIN

1 1/2 C unbleached all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 C diced rhubarb

Combine dry ingredients thoroughly.  Add diced rhubarb.

1 C vanilla soy yogurt (you can also use 1 cup of soy milk, cow's milk, almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice )
3/4 C demerara sugar (or regular brown sugar)
1/2 C olive oil
1 flax egg*
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (you could also use vanilla extract)

In a separate bowl, mix well together.   Stir in dry ingredients until just moistened (over mixed will lead to shoe leather).  Fill greased muffin tins two-thirds full (I used both aluminum and silicone muffin tins).

CRUMBLE

1/4 C demerara sugar
1 Tbsp Earth Balance (or butter or margarine of your choice) 
2 TBSP rolled oats (not quick cooking.  Personally I like LoonSong Garden's rolled oats)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp flour

Combine and sprinkle on top of batter.  Bake in preheated oven at 375F for 20 minutes.  Remove from pans and cool on wire racks for 5+ minutes.

Eat leftover batter and crumble.  Yum!

rhubarb from backyard

diced rhubarb

add rhubarb to dry ingredients


mix diced rhubarb with dry ingredients

combine sugar, yogurt, oil, flax egg and vanilla bean paste

crumble

sprinkle crumble on batter

bake for 20 minutes or so

Sunday run + muffins = awesome 



They passed the test of a family barbecue!

* About flax eggs.  I can't lie.  My flax eggs reminded me a bit of making slime with my kindergarden class last year but they  work so that's all that really matters right?  Before you decide to follow my advice on how to make flax eggs I  must confess to once telling 25+ CSA customers that it was a great idea to place their wet salad greens in a pillow case and swing the pillow case around several times until there wasn't any water left.  When I tried this myself ( in an old and fairly worn pillowcase) after sharing my tip in a weekly CSA newsletter  I ended up with MUD ALL OVER THE ENTIRE KITCHEN.  So use at own risk.

FLAX EGGS

1/2 C flax seed (either whole or briefly pulsed in the blender)
3 C water

Bring to boil in a small sauce pan.  Simmer for 20 minutes stirring frequently (you really do have to stir otherwise you are going to have burnt slime that is fused to your pot.  Don't ask how I know this.).  Strain slime from flax seeds.  1/4 C slime equals one egg.  You may find that you don't have to simmer the mixture for 20 minutes.  It was much easier to separate slime from flax when I didn't let it simmer nearly as long (also don't ask how I figured this out). 


whole flax seed

bring to a boil.  simmer until slimy.
strain slime from flax
Like I said use at own risk.  Or you could always just use 1 T of ground flax + 3 T of warm water.  But that would be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment