Pages

Monday 11 July 2011

Will Run For I Can't Believe It's Not Ricotta

pasta with vegetables and tofu ricotta


I am not sure what makes someone think "oh, a tofu ricotta recipe that looks delicious.  I should make that" or what makes someone think "I should make this for J.  I know that she said that she would love barbecued ribs or sausage but why not make tofu ricotta instead".


When I initially saw the recipe for tofu ricotta in the April/May issue of Clean Eating Magazine I thought it looked kind of interesting.  Making it for company meant that I wouldn't have to eat it for days (so it could have been horrible but there was always dessert).  After some tweaking here is the recipe:


Tofu Ricotta 

(2 cups)

Ingredients

12 oz firm silken tofu (I used MORI-NU Extra Firm for grilling, stir frying & sauteing)
2 garlic cloves pressed (local is best!)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 TBSP olive oil 
1 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
Salt & pepper to taste

Pass tofu through a potato ricer (you could try to grate it or crumble it but no promises about the texture).

Pass garlic through garlic press or finely chop.

Add lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper and mix until combined.

The penne with ricotta is a really flexible recipe.  Add more vegetables, less pasta, more ricotta.  You also use leftover ricotta to make stuffed pasta shells (maybe when it's not so hot outside).

Penne with Ricotta
(serves 4)

Ingredients

2 Cups cooked pasta (penne)
4 Cups of broccoli flowerets, asparagus, carrots, green beans, now peas (or your favourite seasonal vegetables) 
1 large ripe tomato (chopped)
1/2 C tofu ricotta (or light dairy ricotta)
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar 
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic
3 Tablespoon Fresh Basil (torn into bits)
salt & pepper to taste

Prepare pasta according to package directions.  During the last 3 minutes of cooking add seasonal vegetables (e.g. broccoli, asparagus, etc.)

In a medium bowl combine tomato, tofu ricotta, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper.  Let sit.  If you are using pepper I would add them to this mixture.

Drain vegetables and pasta.  Combine.  You can serve this dish hot or cold although I prefer hot.

I failed to tell my dinner guest that her ricotta wasn't actually ricotta and she didn't run screaming from the table looking for a chicken leg in the bathroom so I would say that dinner was a success!

peppers, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, vinegar


add tofu ricotta

add pasta and enjoy







1 comment:

  1. I did actually search the bathroom for the chicken leg, but it was still pretty good. But wait, now I see the addition of NUTRITIONAL YEAST FLAKES. What are you doing to me?? I can't even imagine what was in the dinner tonight. Did you inject B vitamins into my t-bone??? On second thought, that would be fine. Thanks for not using my real name - I would hate people to know that I am prone to running and screaming during dinner.
    Ssssssssshhh!!

    Thanks again!
    J.

    ReplyDelete