Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Will Run For Ms. John's Waffles



Pace Bunny & I often run for Ms. John's waffles.  Imagine having a 'fan' who  begrudgingly graciously agrees volunteers to make waffles almost any time you're racing in your home town. 

Sounds nice doesn't it? 


Ms. John I'm onto you!  Making waffles = not having to come to the race.

We usually celebrate the New Year with a resolution run of our own (imagine homemade bibs, partly eaten snacks and variety of regifted items in your race kit).  We basically resolve to stop eating and drinking crap and fight about what races we'll run during the upcoming year (more about that later). 




 The 'race' is usually followed with lots of coffee, waffles and various forms of breakfast meat (I'm not really sure why PB and I are friends).  This year while I went for a run PB was lying on her couch in her penguin pyjamas was walking the dog on the lake.

In keeping with tradition I decided to make Ms. John's waffle recipe for Farmer who likes to remind me how delicious Ms. John's waffles are every time I mention making wholewheat banana  waffles.

It turns out that Ms. John's waffles are much easier to make than I thought.  Don't let the yeast or the rising time scare you.

Ms. John's Waffles
(8-10 waffles)

ingredients

1 8 g package dry yeast (I used 2 1/4 tsp of Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast)
2 cups lukewarm milk (I used almond milk)
4 eggs (from happy chickens), separated
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
2T sugar
1/2 C melted butter

In a medium sized bowl dissolve the yeast in warm (not hot) milk.    

In a separate bowl beat egg yolks with mixer (it's worth taking out the mixer).  Next, add vanilla to egg yolks and beat until well combined.  Add milk + yeast mixture.

Sift together flour, salt and sugar.  This was a good excuse to use my fancy sifter.  Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir.  Fold in melted butter (the original recipe says to stir in the butter carefully but feel free to be wild and crazy as you stir).

Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  Fold egg whites into batter (this will help create light waffles).

Let mixture stand for 20 minutes or until it has doubled its bulk.

Grease your waffle maker.  Pour approximately 3/4 C of batter into waffle maker.  Cook for approximately 5 minutes.


sifting, sifting with my fancy sifter

fold in egg whites

cook for five minutes

enjoy with mixed berries, coconut cream, and amber maple syrup
















No comments:

Post a Comment