Pages

Saturday 12 January 2013

Will Run For Apple Chips (& a mandoline)



cinnamon apple chips


When I saw the subject line "4:45 a.m. double crust sandwich" I knew that things weren't good.  My cousin and I use double crust sandwiches as the baseline for a bad day.  Her double crust sandwiches literally involve a double crust sandwich as well as a work week that includes two Mondays (that's cruel), leaving her house at 4:45 a.m. to drive for an hour and working underground as the only girl on her crew.  Now that's a bad day if you ask me.  This particular double crust sandwich involved a dog weigh scale, jeans that didn't fit, and a few other details that I am not at liberty to share (she has stories, and pictures).

The opposite of double crust sandwiches (in my world anyway) are trays of cinnamon apple chips and bowls of thinly sliced beets, carrots, apples, and avocados with white balsamic vinegar.  If you're reminding yourself to tell me to suck a beet chip the next time you see me don't worry it won't be the first time I hear it.  I wonder if Farmer knew that the mandoline she bought me would make me want to thinly slice and eat every vegetable & fruit in sight.

Apple Chips  

3 gala apples
1 tsp cinnamon
lots of patience
mandoline
dehydrator

Wash apples.  Core apples using your apple corer (you could use a knife but the apple corer makes the job painless).  Using your *mandoline (everyone NEEDS one of these) thinly slice apples.  Place apples on dehydrating racks, sprinkle with cinnamon.  Turn dehydrator to 135 F.  Wait 8-10 hours. 

before


It's my birthday!  One little slice won't hurt.


If he gets one I get one too, right?


 Putting your dehydrator on before bed makes the wait less painful and your house smells delicious when you wake up.

8 hours later

While you have the mandoline out you might want to try making some beet & carrot salad.  I used 1 large beet, 2 carrots, 1/4 C parsley roughly chopped, 1/2 an apple, 1/2 avocado thinly sliced with a knife and several tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar.

the reason my hands are pink


Or how about some beet chips?

before

3 hours later (145 F for 45 minutes + 115F for 3 hrs)









No comments:

Post a Comment