Pages

Saturday 22 September 2012

Carrot Hubbard Puree (with apples and coconut milk)


I don't know about you but I think that fall is one of my favourite seasons.  My kitchen is full of kale, spaghetti, acorn, hubbard and buttercup squash (so is my basement...if you come to the back door or the basement window I will gladly send some your way while farmer isn't looking), and tomatoes that were grown minutes from my house.  I realize that I may not be so happy about all of these vegetables after I've been eating them for weeks but for now it's a squash, kale, tomato party over here.

Carrot Hubbard Puree
(serves 6-8 hungry people)

2 C roasted hubbard squash (I roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 450 F after brushing it with olive oil)
*6 C of vegetable stock (we made our own with lots of rosemary, garlic scapes, and onions)
1 T coconut oil (you could replace with olive oil)
3 large carrots
1 large gala apple diced (I used organic and left the skin on) 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C coconut milk 

* you may want to add an large onion, 1-2 T dried rosemary, and 2-3 garlic cloves if you are using a commercial soup stock.

In a large pot heat coconut oil until melted.  Add carrots and apple.  Stir occasionally until carrots and apple are tender.  Add hubbard squash, vegetable stock, and salt.  Simmer for approximately 20 minutes (and drink a hubbard latte).  Add coconut milk.  Using a hand held blender blend until desired consistency is reached.  Top with roasted pumpkin seeds if you are so inclined.












No comments:

Post a Comment