Pages

Saturday 4 August 2012

Will Run For Harvest Cake

It's my birthday and I can eat cake for breakfast (and lunch and supper) if I want to!


happy birthday breakfast
In preparation of a day of cake eating I started my day at the gym (narrowly escaping the birthday tiara).

Next was a tea party with the beautiful creamer set that Farmer bought me while visiting Prince Edward Island.

sugar lumps from Magog

After that Pace Bunny promised me the workout of my choice for my birthday.  I was really hoping for matching running themed jewellery or dirt in a jar from our favourite running route (please note sarcastic undertones) but the workout of my choice didn't turn out to be so bad.  Six kilometres + a 1 K walk.  There isn't any walking in running with PB and I so this was all kinds of awesome.  I might take up mall walking.   

Finally,I was lucky enough to get to have dinner with Granny & my favourite great aunt (all while watching Y&R).

While a birthday is a great excuse to eat cake any excuse will do.  With more zucchinis, carrots & beets on their way from Spill The Beans Farm I hope to see more cake in my future.

Harvest Cake

1 C wholewheat pastry flour
1 C unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 C buckwheat honey
1/2 C soymilk + 2 tsp lemon juice (stir and allow to sit until thickened)
2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax + 6 T warm water)
1/4 C olive oil
1 T vanilla bean paste
1 C grated carrot
3/4 C grated zucchini
1/4 C grated beet 

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Grease 9 inch square baking pan with olive oil.  Set aside.  I decided that I would cut the cake in 1/2 and make a 1/2 cake instead.  It wasn't my best idea.


half cake


Grate 1 C carrots, 3/4 C zucchini, & 1/4 C carrot.  Set aside.


glorious garden vegetables
In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients.

In a large bowl combine honey, soy milk + lemon juice, flax eggs and vanilla.  Stir vigorously or drag out the electric mixture until everything is well combined.  Add grated vegetables and continue to stir.  Slowly add dry ingredients.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.


In desperate need of icing


Icing

For the icing I used My New Roots recipe for honey coconut icing.  This recipe calls for only a few simple ingredients: coconut milk, honey, coconut oil, cornstarch, water and a pinch of sea salt.  I would recommend doubling or even tripling the recipe if you are a lover of all things coconut, honey and/or icing.


I need to eat cake more often


No comments:

Post a Comment