Pages

Saturday 7 July 2012

Will Run For Maple Granola

breakfast of champions

For the past couple of years I have been happily calling an old pair of running shorts and a tank top my bathing suit.  Then I got the crazy idea that it would be fun to join a triathlon clinic and thought  that it was probably time to buy a proper bathing suit. Note to self: maybe you should make sure that you can ride a bike and swim before signing up to do either of these things for an extended period of time.  Oh, and maybe rethink activities that require you to wear small pieces of spandex.  

Buying a bathing suit was even more fun than you might imagine.  I think that Speedo has it out for me.    Who knew that their sizing had little to do with your waist or bust size.  After wedging myself into EIGHT bathing suits (that's eight larger sizes than what I thought I should wear) that made me want to run screaming (as if that was possible as various body parts were being compressed in ways that they never should be) I managed to find a suit.  It isn't pretty but I figure it's better than losing my shorts as  I swim (I might change my mind about that).

What does swimsuit shopping have to do with granola?  I figure granola is the breakfast of champions and I need something to look forward to after my first swim.

Maple Granola
(approximately 5 cups of granola)

ingredients

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried apples
1 cup raw walnuts
3 slices candied ginger (approximately 3 T)
1 T coconut oil
1 T maple syrup
1/4 C maple syrup flakes (I found these at the Bulk Barn)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamom

In a large bowl combine rolled oats, chopped dried apples, chopped raw walnuts, chopped candied ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cardamom.  In a saucepan or microwave melt coconut oil and add maple syrup.  Add coconut oil mixture to oat mixture.  Bake at 350 for 14 minutes stirring half way through.  Add maple flakes.  Allow to cool and then store in a sealed container (mason jars are my favourite).

share with a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment