Pages

Saturday 10 August 2013

Will Cycle For Minestrone With Basil Pesto

Summer Minestrone


I think I quit about every 10K of my 90K bike ride today.  Then, I quit again once I finished my ride and was supposed to be running.  I quit because my bed and two bouviers were calling.  I quit because I was sick and tired of battling it out with pickup trucks that like to drive too close and yell obscenities at cyclists (even though I was following all the rules).  I quit because I would rather be at home drinking coffee and eating soup.   I quit because I have a long run planned for tomorrow.  I quit because my legs were tired.

I might have quit over and over again but I also started again.  I did lots of math.  90K = 10 + 10 + 10.... or 10 + 10 + 10 + .5 + .25....  I bribed myself with honey stinger waffles. I thought about race day.  And, I thought about soup.

Anyone have some motivation to spare?  I'm accepting donations. 


Summer Minestrone  
(Serves 6-8)

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 sweet onion diced
2 cloves local garlic
2 large carrots sliced
1 small grated zucchini or your favourite summer squash
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
48 oz water + 2 vegetable bouillon cubes OR 48 oz of vegetable broth
1/8 buttercup squash diced (I didn't bother to peel)
1 14 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed (nobody likes bean slime)
1 T dried rosemary

In a large pot warm 1 tsp olive oil.  Add onion & garlic saute until onion is transparent.  Add carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, chickpeas, buttercup squash, rosemary & pesto.  Simmer on medium until carrots and squash are tender (30 minutes or so).




1 comment: