Pages

Sunday 20 November 2011

Will Run For Holly Nog


The clouds parted, the sun shone down and it's possible that angels were singing (or maybe that was just the Santa Clause parade that I heard).  There it was.  In all of its glory. Holly Nog.  

I had 5 dozen cookies to bake.  I'm fairly confident that I must have been drinking and possibly eating ice-cream cake when I thought that a cookie exchange would be a good idea.  Cookie exchanges don't always turn out well.

Dear Friends,

A cookie exchange is not a great time to experiment with vegan, no fat, no sugar, no taste cookies.

Love,
T.

With that advice in mind I decided on Coconut Holly Nog Sugar Cookies.  These cookies look pretty plain but they are packed with flavour and are excellent for dipping!  I also decided on chocolate ginger chunk but I'll save that for another day.

Coconut Holly Nog Sugar Cookies
(36 cookies)

ingredients
1 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1C wholewheat pastry flour
2 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp cardamom 
1 tsp cloves
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C +2 Tblsp Earth Balance (butter or margarine work as well)
1/3 cup turbino sugar
1/4 C Holly Nog (Vitasoy brand)
1/2C grated unsweetened coconut
4 Tbsp turbino sugar ( optional for rolling cookies)
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Place baking stone in the oven so that it can preheat as well.
In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, spices and coconut and set aside.  In a medium bowl cream Earth Balance , sugar & Holly Nog (it will look a little curdled).  Add flour mixture to wet ingredients.
I opted not to roll the cookies in sugar but if you wanted them to look a little less plain I would suggest doing so.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.   Place several inches apart on baking sheet.  Use the tines of a fork or the bottom of a glass to flatten cookies.  Bake 10-12 minutes until golden.  Allow cookies to sit for about 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.

Too much nog!














No comments:

Post a Comment