Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Will Run For Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes

lemon poppy seed pancakes with maple syrup
When life gives you lemons make pancakes.  The temperature in my refrigerator is currently higher than the temperature in my house.  This is after the refrigerator repair person 'repaired' my refrigerator yesterday.  I am currently impatiently waiting for him to return.

My refrigerator is now filled with warm condiments, one limp head of broccoli, leaks, lemons and more condiments than any family could possibly need.

I thought about making a glorious lemon cake or loaf but decided that it was way too hot to use the oven and I was feeling just a little guilty about postponing my run (how am I going to run 21K if I can't drag myself outside to run 5?).

Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
(6 medium pancakes)

ingredients

1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water)
3/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C unsweetened soy milk (dairy & almond will work as well)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
9 thinly sliced pieces of lemon
1 Tbsp maple syrup.

1.  Mix flax and water let sit until it thickens (you can speed this along by heating the mixture in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or on the stove).  Add olive oil and lemon juice to flax mixture.

2.  Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  Add olive oil, lemon juice & flax mixture.  If you would like a thinner pancake add additional soy milk (1-2 Tbsp).

thick batter


3.  Thinly slice a lemon (washed and preferably organic....mine was not) and place in a bowl with maple syrup.

3.  Heat griddle over medium heat.  It's ready when you sprinkle it with water and the water jumps around.  Coat with olive oil.

4.  For each pancake use approximately 1/4 cup of batter.  Place one thinly sliced lemon on top of each pancake.  Cook until pancakes are bubbly on top.  Turn and cook other side until golden brown.

bubbly, puffed and dry around the edges


5.  Eat with copious amounts of local maple syrup or maple sugar!

lemons and maple syrup



Update: The temperature in the refrigerator is dropping!  I see fresh produce in my future.


pancakes?


pancakes?






No comments:

Post a Comment